I’ve moved my blog! For the updated Mini Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberries & Nutella Recipe, please visit my new blog at “Jan’s Food Steps“.
When I was brainstorming on what to make for a group of 20+ co-workers during our “12 Days of Baking/Cooking” event, I decided that mini pancakes would be the perfect dish. Most of us start early so a breakfast item is always nice, plus these mini pancakes on a stick are pretty easy to eat (no plates required). And did I mention that strawberries + Nutella is a super yummy combination?! I’ve never had Nutella prior to making this recipe and now I want to eat Nutella straight out of the jar by the spoonful.
Now let me warn you, making these mini pancakes will take some time depending on the size you’re making. Mine are about 1.5 inches in diameter. You’d want to make them about the same size as your strawberries in order for the stack to look nice. Besides strawberries, you can also do banana slices with Nutella too. Feel free to scale the pancake recipe to your need. I did 3 mini pancakes per stack but you can do 2 and make it more like a sandwich.
Ingredients for Mini Buttermilk Pancakes (makes about 30+ mini pancakes – size 1.5″):
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil – for cooking pancakes
Ingredients for mini pancake stacks:
- mini pancakes
- 1/2 lb or more fresh strawberries, sliced (can substitute with banana)
- icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Toothpicks or wooden picks for holding the mini pancakes stack together
Instructions for Mini Buttermilk Pancakes:
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and sugar) together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with buttermilk.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient. Do not over mix. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Heat a bit of oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Using a soup spoon, drop about 1 – 1.5 spoonful of pancake batter into the pan. Cook the pancake until you see bubbles popping on the surface and the edges are golden (about 1-2 minutes). Flip the pancake and cook the other side for about 30 seconds. Remove pancake to a baking tray & repeat with the rest of the batter. TIP: Since the pancakes are so small, you can probably cook more than one pancake at a time.
- Stack the cooked pancakes on a baking tray and keep it in a low temperature oven (~150-180F) to keep warm while you cook the rest of the pancakes.
Assembling the Mini Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberries & Nutella:
- Spread Nutella generously on one mini pancake, top it with a slice of strawberry. Repeat and now you have 2 layers of mini pancakes with Nutella and strawberry slices. Top the last strawberry slice with another mini pancake and secure the pancake stack with a wooden pick.
- My buttermilk pancake batter is a bit thick so it’s hard to pour but if you let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes you’ll get a consistency that you can pour with. Though I find that the longer the batter sits, the less fluffy it gets. So I always make small batches of pancake batter even if I have to make 2-3 batches of mini pancakes.
- To get a rounder shape, I like to let the batter drip about 1-2″ above the pan and then help it shape into a circle by using the back of the spoon to spread it out. Don’t spread it too thin or it won’t fluff up as much.
- You can make the pancakes ahead of time. If you do, wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze them for a quick breakfast later.
- The quickest way to make the stacks is to do an assembly line. Lay all your mini pancakes in 3 rows, top Nutella on 2 rows of mini pancakes. Top these 2 rows with strawberries. Now all you have to do is put one row of mini pancakes with strawberries on top of the other row that also have strawberries, then finish off by placing the last row of mini pancake (with no Nutella or strawberry) on top.