When I’m too lazy to go out and pick up grocery or food, I’d raid my kitchen to see what’s I can pull together for a simple meal. One time I only had some nugget potatoes, a few grape tomatoes and one egg. So I decided to turn them into a warm potato salad topped with a poached egg. It was simple and delicious! Feel free to add other vegetables like green beans or asparagus. I think they’d make the salad more colourful and taste even better!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 shallots – sliced thinly
- 150g potatoes (I used mini nuggets potatoes but fingerling potatoes works too)
- 12-14 grape tomatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional Vegetables: French green beans or asparagus
- Optional Add-ins: toasted pine nuts or other nuts/seeds, chopped chives
Ingredients for the mustard dressing:
- 2-3 tbsp of mustard (use grainy mustard if you have it, but I didn’t so I used dijon mustard here)
- 1 glove of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 2 springs of Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 3.5 – 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 1-1.5 tbsp of lemon juice
- Blanch the potatoes (and green beans/asparagus if using). In a sauce pan, add potatoes and add enough cold water to cover them. Bring water to boil and cook until potatoes are desired doneness (test with tooth pick). I like mine more al dente, so as soon as a tooth pick can easy go through the potatoes I remove them from the boiling water. Once done, put potatoes in a cold water bath or rinse them under cold water then set aside. If nugget potatoes are in difference sizes, cut them to similar size. If using fingerling potatoes, cut them in half.
- Make Dressing: In a bowl, combine mustard with garlic and parsley. Drizzle in olive oil a little at a time while whisking or stirring to emulsify the mustard and oil together. Stir in lemon juice at the end then set aside.
- In a pan, add oil and shallots over medium heat. Once shallots start to sizzle, add in the potatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Add in green beans or asparagus if using and saute for another minute.
- Add in tomatoes, dressing, and add-ins such as nuts or chives if using. Stir or toss everything until vegetables are coated with the dressing and are warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make it a quick meal, you can add proteins such as poached egg, hard boil egg, chunks of canned tuna, diced cooked ham or chicken.
- I’m sure you can make this with sweet potatoes or yam and it’d be delicious too. Just dice them into similar sizes and blanch them.