I’ve moved my blog! For the updated Apple Crumble Baked in Apple Cups Recipe, please visit my new blog at “Jan’s Food Steps“.
Although I love apple pies, I usually don’t make them at home because I am too lazy to make pie crust. So when I crave for apple pie, I make apple crumble instead. With a crunchy topping and cinnamon-y apples, I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t love this dessert. Well, except my Mr. Chau. He actually doesn’t like apple crumble (ugh!!).
To make apple crumble more “exciting”, and to entice Mr. Chau to eat them, I decided to bake the apple crumble inside the apples instead. It does take a bit of work to scoop out the apple flesh to make the apple cups but it’s worth it! The apple cups are not only edible, they also make this simple dessert look super fancy. If you need a simple dessert that’d impress everyone at your next dinner party, you gotta try making these apple crumble in apple cups!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 medium apples (I used Fuji apples in the photo)
- 1 small apple (I used Gala apple)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1-1.5 tbsp salted butter
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ice cream for serving (optional)
Ingredients for the Crumble Topping:
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3.5 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1.5-2 tbsp of salted butter, melted
- Combine the topping ingredients: oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Add in the butter and mix until everything is combined. If the mixture feels dry add a bit more melted butter.
- Peel and chop the small apple into chunks. For the 2 medium apples, cut off the top and use a spoon to carefully scoop out the flesh and core to make a “bowl” out of the apple. Don’t get too close to the skin or you’ll crack the apple. Add the chunks of apple flesh to the chopped apples pile or eat it on their own.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add in the chopped apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, about 8-10 minutes. While the apples are cooking, preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking tray with foil or parchment.
- Place the apple bowls on the baking tray, fill them with the cooked apple pieces and top them generously with the crumble topping. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crumble topping is crispy. Serve warm with ice cream.
- I find that one small apple plus pieces taken from the apple cups are enough to fill 2 apple cups. However, chopping a whole apple is easier and look nicer. So if you are not going to use the bits and pieces of apple flesh taken from the apple cups, use one extra small apple.