Are you a mussels person or a clams person or perhaps both? Mr. Chau and I both love clams and I usually I make them with sake. Recently I saw a host on Gusto TV cook clams with beer so I thought I’d give it a try too. It turned out delicious and I don’t even like drinking beer! I used an IPA but you can use other beers that suite your taste. Give this recipe a try if you like clams.
Ingredients (makes 1 lb of steamed clams):
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallots, finely diced
- 1 lb clams, cleaned (see note below)
- 1/3 – 1/2 can of beer, about 100-150ml
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- small bunch of Italian parsley chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Put oil, garlic and shallots in a pan or sauce pan over medium-high heat. Once garlic and shallots starts to sizzle and release their aromas, add clams and give everything a good toss.
- Add the beer, cover and let the clams steam until majority of them are open, about 2-3 minutes. During the steaming process, give the pan or sauce pan a few shakes with the lid on to help toss the clams around. I find this helps open them up all around the same time.
- Remove the lid and add butter. Stir until butter is incorporated and taste the sauce to see if you need more salt.
- Ladle the clams and sauce into a bowl or plate, sprinkle parsley on top if using. Enjoy!
- See this article on how to clean the sand out of clams.